20221216

Tenyo 2023

Last friday I received three of the new Tenyo tricks for 2023, and oh boy, this has got to be one of Tenyo's best line-ups from the past years!

Size Surprise

I did not buy Size Surprise but I'm confident, if performed fluently, it will get a nice reaction from your audience (especialy chidren). I will eventually buy it for a gig I will do for my now 6-year old, son, Benjamin - it is very visual and a nice introduction for a childs magic show when using (playing) cards.


The original demo by Tenyo


Mister Danger

Mister Danger - There has been a lot of praise for this new classic (as in self working, mechanical, examinable (more or less) and baffling) Tenyo. As most of you who collect Tenyo or other magic items, I also thought I had an idea of what was going on/how the gimmick would work. And while not completely wrong, Tenyo surprised me, like in the good old days. It was really an 'aha-erlebnis' - a feeling of 'it's actually so simple, why didn't I think of that?'... . FUN!


An excellent handling by Yasuo Amano

I love the effect and it will become a classic for sure. I have read some people did have some problems with the quality: the clear front door falls of because the hinges aren't tall enough and the figurine gets stuck and doesn't fall out of the case at the end of the trick without some help. The version I had did not have the 'door-issue' but the figurine indeed needs some help to come out of the case.

  • hinge-issue: John Talbot suggests the following procedure: "I boiled some water and poured in a bowl. I dipped the two clear hinge tabs on the clear door into the hot water for 5 seconds or so. Then gently squeezed the tabs inwards a bit. The door now fits perfectly and does not come off. Was a quick fix that worked great for me."
    As mentioned I did not have this issue but I must confess when I 'wiggle' the panel up and down it does come of very easily. I have done the following for now: when storing the trick I place a tight rubber band on the hinges/door and I hope they will eventually bend a little inwards and there is no risk of the door falling of.
  • figurine does not 'fall out' of the case: I actually do not think this is an issue. Tenyo did include a note (probably because they found out after the manual had been written) saying you need to push the figurine out with one of the swords. This is definately necessary with the copy I bought, I really need to push it in the case so it doesn't come out without some pressure form the back. It helps to convince the spectators the figurine can't move, and I believe thats fine. If you would like the figurine to come out at the end of the trick without the help of a sword I suggest you leave it inside the case, put it in, push it out several times , ... . 
  • sound-issue: the trick does 'talk', but the manual clearly sais to 'do something very slow' ... . No problem with my version, but even when you hear something most people won't notice I believe. Some practice handling the props may also help.

Is it 100% examinable? No, it is not. I have quite a large collection of magic and there are very few tricks that are 100% examinable actually, most of the time there is a switch involved or you need to casually 'ditch' something. I would say this trick is very examinable when handing the pieces to different spectators. You can buy more than one copy and switch something, as has been mentioned on several fora. Applying pressure on the figurine when inside the box at exactly the right spot will also reveal what is happening ... . 

I put the figurine in the box, it sits very snugly. I may than ask spectators to push the figurine upside down and from right to left. That way they have 'tried' to move it and are convinced it does not move. Perhaps that's overdoing it, I know ... .


Final Piece

Why most people's favorite Tenyo is Mr. Danger, this one is my favorite. I have seen this trick before on television and thought is was superb, but it was very expensive. Not anymore ... Tenyo released this wonderfull magic trick and the quality is excellent (Tenyo is actually a company that mainly makes ... jigsaw puzzles!). 

Not only that, but Tenyo made the handling very easy to do. Some people suggest using a force bag but I think that's not really necessary ... . The plastic box Tenyo provides is sufficient and looks less suspicious. I mean, I do own a few force-bags (one from clear plastic, one from sort of a net-like material) and both look like, well, magic items. If using a force bag I suggest you make your own from a bag from for example a local grocery store.


A wonderfull performance by Craig Petty

In  any case, as already said, this is my favourite effect from the Tenyo 2023 line - it's easy to do (the patter Tenyo suggests in the manual is excellent) and it makes for a very nice story-telling magic trick. I do know most (professional) performers are very reluctant in using Tenyo in their performances, but I think this is one trick they can actually use. The quality is excellent and the effect is strong. 


Lucky Strings

I don't read/see/hear a lot of this trick, but Lucky Strings is actually very good! It does require some arts and crafts (applying the stickers is not very easy; I messed up on the front side but that's OK).


I found this nice video on YouTube.

The effect itself is excellent, and the bell is very suitable for Christmas-performances. It works great and applying a sticker as the manual suggests makes it even stronger. I will be using this one for sure.


Tenyo has done it again - releasing some absolutely great effects at low cost. Inflation clearly didn't effect Tenyo because the prices are in line with the previous years, and so is the quality.